Monday, June 23, 2014

Enrile's arrest

He once ousted a dictator from his seat and nearly succeeded in ruining the term of a democratic icon.  Now, after several coups and near victories and sorry misses, Senator Juan Ponce Enrile is now at the twilight of his illustrious career that spanned six decades. Enrile, who proudly proclaimed his ambition to become president two decades back, is preparing himself for jail.

And worse...he is now being lumped together with two of the senate's rejects--Estrada and Revilla, as if suggesting that Enrile belongs to the laughing stock of politics!

Some say, its karma. Nearly thirty years ago, and Enrile was at the prime of his career. He was defense minister. He controls the arm. He was, the brain behind the arm.

There was a time when people thought of Enrile as the master blaster--ordering the arrests of people and hauling them to jail.

What happened to this brilliant fellow who once topped the bar and hovered above his other contemporaries in style, sleek and cheek? Enrile is one of this country's brilliant minds. Why did he choose to tread a path that led to perfidity? What happened that made him exchange God with the Mammon?

I pity him. Before, I used to identify myself with him, because, like him, I was raised without my father at my side. I struggled until I got what I wanted. Enrile, for me, lives on as an inspiration.

Now, its difficult to say what gives when you have someone whom you admire but most people say deserves the foulest punishment for just being himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!