Monday, December 28, 2015

Letty Jimenez-Magsanoc: One of the last True EDSA Freedom Fighters

I was devastated to learn from Facebook that Inquirer editor-in-chief Letty Jimenez-Magsanoc had just wrote finis. I felt like a void had just been created in my heart, and for many days, I was not able to do anything substantial. The fact is--I was physically weakened and disturbed.

Disturbed by the notion that another great one had just left the building. As one of my very closed friend told me---seems like the "last of the Mohicans" are falling like autumn leaves.

Fear just engulfed me. And flashes of my meetings with mam Letty during those dark days came to me in fast forward mode. I am not at liberty here to reveal what were those meetings, that lasted for more than 20 years, meetings that last for years, in between.

I would have met her again this month, but I was so busy, I wasn't able to attend. The last time, indirectly, was thru her reporter-journalist who is doing a great story, an expose about the current goings-on in one of the government's agency.

And like what I always do--I don't attend the funerals of my friends simply because I don't want to see them lying inside that wooden box. I always want to keep the memories when they were still alive. I did that with Manong Neal, Julius Fortuna, my former boss, Ding Gagelonia, even a dear brother from the broadcast industry and even my grandmother.

Remembering her brought me to a period when I was still like her, wanting to fight for God and Country. It was during those dark times when the paper was being attacked by an administration whose head already declared war against it.

It is not because there is no more person at the Inquirer who would continue the work left by mam
Letty, oh no. Knowing most of the writers of the Inquirer now, most if not all of them are keeping the flame alive. Yes, the Inquirer is in good hands, mam.

What I fear the most is that mam Letty left us when it was still dark. Is God telling us something? Is this a sign that a great and major event is forthcoming, and a new batch of Patriots is being prepared to undertake the duties left by those like mam Letty?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!