Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Reality bites like a rabid dog

Many years ago, I stumbled upon a case that would change my life forever. At that time, I was a journalist. After years of being an activist, I shed my revolutionary robe and donned on a new one. Despite the protestations of my deceased dad (who wanted me to become a lawyer), I pushed on as a journalist since writing remains a burning passion within me. Being a journalist though, I needed to shed every ism within my soul, hoping that I'll look at every scene, every spectacle and every presscon without my red-colored lenses.

Yet, the more I look at reality, the more I realized that those years I spent pouring over books written by economists, historiographers, sociologists and philosophers were spent wisely. I came face-to-face with the miseries of the people. Those who were victimized by crime. Those who were held hostage by a patronage-laden system. And those who were rendered orphan by the daily struggles against poverty--all of them--became my bedfellows.

The centuries-old struggle of our heroes came flashing back, as if we did not really progress as what government wants us to believe. That the very same problems which confronted our forefathers remain deeply rooted in Filipino society.

The more I observe, the more I became convinced that change should happen. Not for me. I'm a damned soul already. I need to act for the benefit of future generations.

Against the will of my family, I decided to help. And help I did. I gave my precious time, helping a woman who saw how brutal and corrupt the cops were. She went into high gear and became a prominent national figure while I stood behind the shadows, content that I accomplished what's supposed to be done.

Eight years past, and all those sacrifices which nearly cost me my life and the future of my family, all went to naught. We managed to install a more corrupt government. No one thought that this would happen although I remember my former desk editor cautioning me about this woman. She said that this woman would bring chaos back into our lives. Well, she said it right. But, she left out one important thing--it's not just chaos--its monumental which has caused thousands of lives and more than 4 million families hungry.

What is to be done?

I'm 37 years old right now, with a 6 month old baby. I also have two kindergarten kids with me and a lovely wife. I have bills to pay, including a car amortization. I have credit card bills piling up. I just have a few thousands in my bank account and I fear that I'll lose them altogether within a month.

I need to weigh my options, and I have a very limited one. Will I respond to the challenge put forth by those junior officers yesterday, calling for a general uprising against this evil, corrupt and decrepit administration?

Is their method the surest way for me to secure the future of my baby, my kids and my wife? A chap like me just needs a more equal, more stable and more graft-less government. Will their call benefit me and my family? Is a revolution the solution for those who have less to have at least a fair chance for a better life? Or will it further worsen the already bad situation me and my family are in?

For some, revolution is just a fancy concept invented by those men who struggled against tyrants and oppressors many centuries back. It's good to write. It's easy to pronounce. It's even fancy to wear.

Yet, in this very moment, revolution is not just an armchair revolutionary's idea. No. It is as real and as needed by us, especially.

We need a revolution. We need something to pull us out of this rut. We need an event that would re-install our "hiya". We need a life-altering change that would rouse us from apathy, disillusionment and hopelessness so that we unite for the advancement of our nation.

We had that before. EDSA Uno was one event that made us smile and made us proud. We can still do the same in our generation now. We can make Filipinos smile again. We can make them proud again, but on a different level.

Weighing between personal and the nation's, I chose the nation's. I was born in this country. The very soil that I stand on needs me. I owe the Motherland whatever I possess now. And the Motherland is grieving because she sees her sons and daughters scrapping the very bottom of the barrel all because of the ineptitude of the usurper in power.

For those Patriots of the New Generation, the Filipino People need you to restore order and make all those who robbed us, stole our monies and corrupted us pay for their sins. We are accepting your challenge. It is time for us to stand against immorality, graft, corruption and utter mismanagement.

Now, our generation needs to shine once more in its duty for the Motherland. Let those who want a cleaner and more effective government rise from their seats and unite behind those who struggle for freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!