Friday, August 14, 2009

Akalamo farming, yun pala phishing: Villar gives Nokia phones to site recruits

There are limits to what you can do as a consultant for a political client. In my case, I don't have a problem with that simply because I don't accept political accounts. One common thread that governs both corporate and political accounts is one word---decency.

Yep, decency.

For example, do you know that the Akalamo.com site which is being handled by a group named Havoc, has just violated the law on decency? Yep. They're giving away Nokia phones for those who will register in their site and give their "akalamos".

Worst, it is basically a promotional contest meant to increase site traffic yet, there are NO DTI (Department of Trade and Industry) certification. Meaning, it is a contest which violates the law.
Technically, it is still not the formal political campaign period and Villar's lawyers would just shrug it off and say, we violated no provision of the Omnibus Election Code. Villar has not filed his certificate of candidacy and technically, giving Nokia phones is simply NOT pre-election campaigning.

Akalamo is giving Nokia 7100 supernova model for those who will (1) register as members in the site (2) giving away their personal details and avatars and (3) recruiting two more members (read this link). Is that phishing? Yep, modified lang.

What's disturbing is the fact that everybody knows this is the period of grassroots organizing and though this promotions at the AKALAMO site is technically NOT pre-election campaigning and hence, does not fall under the category of VOTE BUYING, still it is also a phishing campaign meant to bolster the ranks of young voters for Villar.

Ano ba naman po, Mr. Senator. We are corrupting our young people. Of course, you'll say its simply not vote buying, pero sir, ganon na din po lumalabas yun. I suggest you re-think your strategy and try to come up with different ways on how to attract supporters the clean way.

Otherwise, nakakatakot isipin na at this point in the game, hindi na kayo malinis maglaro. Pano pa kung maging pangulo na po kayo?



Akalamo me fair game, yun pala hindi. Promoters of the site have lots of explaining to do.

6 comments:

  1. Why a sudden change of view? I thought Senator Manny Villar got your vote a few weeks ago.

    Please take my question as it is. I am a bit confused of your position.That's the reason why I ask you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI anoga,

    as I explained in previous entries, I never said that I'll vote for Villar. It is in that one singural act of his, giving a house and lot, that I approved of.

    And really, this contest being promoted by AKALAMO is NOT the way to do it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think a DTI permit is needed for this since there is no purchase required to join the promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is obviously another one of Villar's bribe attempts.

    How's this for an idea:
    Why not take the phone, and vote for someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see anything wrong with this site. I personally don't like Villar and I will never vote for him. If this site is giving away freebies to increase traffic then I don't see any reason the strategy is ill. If you scour the internet, I am sure you will find other sites doing the same thing. If they intend on buying votes and succeed then I'm ashamed to be a Filipino. Kung madali tayong bilhin ng kahit sino sa kahit magkanong halaga, talagang hindi tayo aasenso. What if gusto lang manalo ng cellphone? Kahit sinong manalo, I don't think they have to vote for Villar. Totoo, masyado lang talagang sensitive ang mga Pinoy. Small things get blown out of proportion. Lumaki ako sa US but am residing in PI now cause I love this country. Ang problema, we let corruption eat us up and I don't think this strategy is corruption. In my opinion, there are only a few who are qualified to be presidents. But remember, no matter how clean you are, once you get into politics, YOU WILL GET DIRTY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi kapatid,

    under the law, any promo or contest should secure a permit from the department of trade and industry. the dti is the one government agency that is tasked to oversee fairness in the contest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!