Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dela Salle celebrates a 100

I'm not an alumnus of Dela Salle. Yet, I consider myself a part of their history since I once taught there. And those times were memorable.


I was'nt in my middle twenties back then, still fresh from college, yet able to teach at the University of the Philippines and La Salle University. I had a very strong academic record. I graduated with masteral units and that earned me the right to teach History at Dela Salle (in 2004, I taught Mass Communications).


My life revolved on two things: teaching and journalism. I report to the newsroom of DZBB at 9 in the evening, wrote 45 news stories every single day and went out of the office by 7 or 8 in the morning. From there, I proceed to UP to teach two classes about history. Afterwards, I go to La Salle in the afternoon. That was my routine for at least three years. (my goolai!)


Back then, the quadrangle was full of decades-old trees. Concrete benches were constructed beneath those trees and when I find the time, I would sit there and rest.  I would converse with my students there, explaining to them the wonderful workings of dialectics and encouraging them to apply these fundamental laws in widening their understanding of the world.


La Salle is a wonderful employer. I became a member of the La Salle Faculty which earned me the right to discounts at the canteen and of course, borrow books from the library. I enjoyed my stay there. 


Some of my students, like Alvin Aguilar, Owen Singson, Cong. Teves and even Darlene Antonino-Custodio carved their particular niches in society. Others became owners of their own businesses while some, well, ascended to the family businesses. 


Sometimes, I think about continuing teaching since it was one of those times that I feel satisfied and contented about life. 


I plan to teach again sometime in the future, maybe when I'm nearing my sixties. I would like to share whatever knowledge I accumulated through the years to the next generation. 


That university deserves the honors and glories that people gave it as one of our most beloved institutions of higher learning.


Now, I am proud to say that:


1. I learned the basics from UP
2. Learned the law from San Beda and Ateneo Law
3. Taught all these to La Salle.


Congratulations La Sallians! May you always shine like stars in the darkest of nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!