Thursday, December 20, 2018

Itchyworms, Ben&Ben, Callalily, Silent Sanctuary--they uplift OPM to a new refreshing level

I am excited that there are several Filipino bands right now which hit the right notes, metaphorically, at the right time and the right places. What I meant with places, in the heart. These bands capture Filipino life at this very moment, the lows and downs, the itchy side of things and the lemons and oranges.

Among the bands of today, I pay special mention to Itchyworms. I really don't know much about this band except that their music catches my innermost vibe. Their song, " Di na muli" is one fine specimen of excellent musicality. Several blog entries ago, I wrote here how disappointed am I for not hearing new tunes. For so many years, I listened to many songs of Filipino bands and really, they were the very same formulaic songs which I last heard from the Eraserheads. Even the themes are the same. So, why will I part my precious peso for these songs?

Not anymore. With these songs which I listed here, I see promise and a glimmer of hope that OPM is really maturing to a level which I consider universal.

Itchyworms top my list, followed by Ben&Ben, Oranges and Lemons, Callalilly, and Silent Sanctuary. For single acts, its Juan Karlos who catches me in a rather weird way.

Let me justify my choice by you watching this excellent video by Itchyworms see link. This song, I think will revolutionize and will lift up true OPM sound once more.

Ben&Ben's singers very clear and unique vocals spice their song, "Kathang Isip" and Tinatangi, among others. Their sound is very distinctive. You should listen to this band more often. I hope they don't really and fully commercialize their sound. Producers should let this band blossom more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!