Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Vizconde Massacre Update: Hubert Webb etal. acquitted by the Supreme Court

Voting 7-4-4, the Supreme Court has just acquitted the suspects in the controversial Vizconde massacre case.


Those acquitted by the Highest Tribunal of the Land included Hubert Jeffrey Webb y Pagaspas, son of former senator Freddie Webb. Webb has been incarcerated for more than 15 years.


If you remember, sometime in the 1980's, during the time of former President Cory Aquino, a gruesome scene was discovered at a bungalow house in Paranaque City.


Three decomposing corpses were found, brutally stabbed to death. It was later learned that the victims were members of the family of an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW).


The scene was so shocking at that time that the entire country lusted for justice. It took several years before the National Bureau of Investigation got a break-through.


That break-through was thru the courtesy of an eye witness, a certain Jessica Alfaro, who claimed that she was with the suspects, led by Hubert Webb, at the time of the crime.


Alfaro became a state witness and solidified the government case against Webb, and three others. 


The local courts of Paranaque rendered a decision favoring the prosecution. The decision hinged on the quality of the state witness. 


Now,the Supreme Court reversed the court's ruling and said that the Court erred in its decision prosecuting the Vizconde massacre suspects.


The Supreme Court said there were inconsistencies in the testimonies of the witnesses in the celebrated case. The SC said that Alfaro's testimony has some problems because Alfaro, it was learned, was an NBI agent, thus, the inconsistency.

5 comments:

  1. 1. alfaro was not yet an agent during the crime.

    2. alfaro's inconsistency was not enough to discredit her narrative, at least to my mind.

    3. considering villarama's dissent and supporting the occassion of an inconsistent narrative from a witness but still spelling out the details of the event as it can be seen in the crime scene.

    4. it is not for alfaro to explain the sense and no-sense of the actions of Web et al. If a criminal crashes into my home and does silly things, would I make a decent explanation to whatever he commits so I can have others believe my story? Obviously not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are definitely correct Rey. I am now reading the SC decision. I will make my judgment after I finish reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may want to place a facebook icon to your site. I just bookmarked the site, although I must complete this by hand. Just my suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreaciate for the work you have put into this article, this helps clear up a few questions I had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of excellent reading here, thank you! I was searching on yahoo when I observed your submit, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to far more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!