Thursday, January 24, 2008

My take on the PNP-Phil Media War

As a journalist myself, let me express my take on the current imbroglio involving the government and the media. I've been immersing myself to the issue and it seems that media is on a higher moral ground in this struggle.

Let me say that media should first unite and fight this creeping attempt by government institutions to control the flow of information. Why? If journalists would not do this, everybody will wake up one morning in an atmosphere of proto martial rule. Media is the only group who is fighting this government above ground. If groups will not unite now, this fight will all be lost.

One of the things that media should reconcile is its internal struggle. This is a good occasion to really determine who are legitimate media and who are government agents.

I wonder why the opposition seems to be so silent about the issue. They are NOT supporting the cause of Philippine journalists. Well, that goes to show how callous and how indifferent the opposition is. Now is the time for cause-oriented groups and like minded organisations to militate against this administration and prevent a repeat of martial rule. If all of us would just be fence sitters this time around, Arroyo's ravenous lapdogs will be more brazen and bold and do other more oppressive actions against all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!