For Revillame, host of the primetime evening show, Willing Willie, being financed by PLDT's Manny Pangilinan and Viva Entertainment, exploiting old people, children and women is ENTERTAINMENT.
I am not surprised that another 6 year old child was exploited by the same man whom his former partner accused of wife beating. see link
I am not at all surprised that this same man caused the deaths of some people in that classic stampede at the ULTRA.
I am not at all surprised to see every single night, poor people flocking to his show for goodies in exchange for humiliating them in public. Our poor folks, sorry to say, are accustomed to being humiliated by the rich. They don't have any option. Rather than be hungry, they will do everything possible,just to win 1,000 or 10,000.
What I am surprised about is that this man is being supported by big businessmen, like Manny Pangilinan and Manny Villar. These people are supposed to be the shakers and movers of this Nation. These men are supposed to be of high integrity.
Do these businessmen realize that their names are also being dragged as protectors of Mr. Revillame, every single time this man gets caught with a misdemeanor or a crime?
Both Villar and Pangilinan are known for their "rags-to-riches" stories. Why are they allowing Willie to exploit the very class which they claimed to have belonged in the past?
Villar is a member of the committee in the Senate on women and children. Will he file a case against Revillame, for child exploitation? This is clearly a case not of entertainment, but of a violation of the law, Article V, Section 9 of Republic Act No. 7610 or the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act:
“Obscene Publications and Indecent Shows. – Any person who shall hire, employ, use, persuade, induce or coerce a child to perform in obscene exhibitions and indecent shows, whether live or in video, or model in obscene publications or pornographic materials or to sell or distribute the said materials shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its medium period. If the child used as a performer, subject or seller/distributor is below twelve (12) years of age, the penalty shall be imposed in its maximum period. Any ascendant, guardian, or person entrusted in any capacity with the care of a child who shall cause and/or allow such child to be employed or to participate in an obscene play, scene, act, movie or show or in any other acts covered by this section shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its medium period.”
Imagine, how crass and how inhumane Willie Revillame was, when he coerced this boy, all of six years old, to dance before a crowd lusty for cheap tricks and cheap thrills.
Probably, Willie experienced the same humiliation when he was a kid. Probably a group of school thugs forced Willie to dance before them, while they throw rotten tomatoes at him. That explains why Willie's face is all cratered.
I will not be surprised if Willie will, again, escape the fangs of the law. The law here in this country recognizes only one thing, and that is money. Fact is, the laws here do not have fangs.
This person who was once charged with wife molestation, who was repeatedly sanctioned by MTRCB for his dirty jokes and toilet-humour, who nearly escaped imprisonment for causing the injury and deaths of several people and now, like a sad joker, exploiting a weak child.
Don't tell me that Jan-Jan is a professional artist willing to do what Willie did to him.
Will Senator Pia Cayetano file a resolution to investigate this matter, or will she just let this incident go unnoticed?
I found this complaint to be filed against Willie and I support this 100%
Hon. Loretta Ann P. Rosales, Chairperson, Commission on Human Rights
Sen. Pia S. Cayetano, Committee Chair, Youth, Women and Family Affairs
Hon. Corazon "Dinky" Juliano-Soliman, Secretary, Department of Social Welfare and Development
Hon. Grace Poe Llamanzares, Chairman, Movies and Television Ratings and Classification Board
Mr. Manny Pangilinan, Chairman, TV5
Justice Santiago M. Kapunan, Officer in Charge, Integrated Bar of The Philippines
Mr. John Rojo, President, Philippine Association of National Advertisers
Ms. Charmaine Canillas, Chairman, Ad Standards Council
Ateneo Human Rights Center
Council for the Welfare of Children
SUBJECT: CHILD ABUSE ON WILLING WILLIE SHOW OF TV5
We wish to bring to your attention a deplorable incident that occurred during the March 12, 2011 episode of Willing Willie, hosted by Mr. Willie Revillame which was aired during TV5's primetime block. In the said episode, also posted on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YRCxh9q64w, a six-year-old boy named Jan-jan was shown dancing “ala-macho dancer," much to the delight of the host and the studio audience. As seen in the video, however, the boy was clearly distressed and humiliated by the said experience as evidenced by his crying while supposedly “entertaining” Mr. Revillame and his audience.
Children should be at school studying or playing at home. They should not be used as cheap sources of entertainment. The act of making children work is already unfortunate; however, the said act is even more deplorablewhen they lose their dignity and self respect in the process.
If TV shows that employ child actors are required to secure the necessary permits from the DSWD, are reality shows like Willing Willie required to do the same? Are representatives from the DSWD present to monitor these activities, especially for shows that air live?
We quote Article V, Section 9 of Republic Act No. 7610 or the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act:
“Obscene Publications and Indecent Shows. – Any person who shall hire, employ, use, persuade, induce or coerce a child to perform in obscene exhibitions and indecent shows, whether live or in video, or model in obscene publications or pornographic materials or to sell or distribute the said materials shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its medium period.
If the child used as a performer, subject or seller/distributor is below twelve (12) years of age, the penalty shall be imposed in its maximum period.
Any ascendant, guardian, or person entrusted in any capacity with the care of a child who shall cause and/or allow such child to be employed or to participate in an obscene play, scene, act, movie or show or in any other acts covered by this section shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its medium period.”
Clearly, what transpired during this episode of Willing Willie was a violation of this provision of the law.
We condemn the blatant act of subjecting poor Filipinos -- especially minors, a group that history has shown to be one of the most vulnerable sectors of our society -- to humiliation in shows like these in exchange for some quick cash. Given the financial hardships that they have to endure, they often feel forced to do acts that violate their dignity as human beings in exchange for keeping body and soul together.
We condemn the host, not only for failing to stop the boy, who was clearly uncomfortable with what he had to do, but more importantly for milking similar situations for the sake of selling the show and increasing its ratings.
We condemn the producers of the show and the management of TV5 not only for failing to act appropriately on this incident, but also for tolerating these kinds of shows, as well as the host's tasteless and humiliating antics.
We express disappointment towards the parents of the boy for subjecting their child to this horrible experience.
We express concern for the studio audience and others at home who found this incident amusing and entertaining.
We express disappointment towards all the advertisers of the show for failing to consider the content and the values of the shows in which they advertise.
We challenge our government agencies, particularly the DSWD and the MTRCB, to act promptly on this and other similar incidents, and to institute measures to protect young children when they appear on Willing Willie and similar shows.
In this regard, we would like to request the following actions from your office:
- For Mr. Manny Pangilinan and the management of TV5 to immediately implement a temporary moratorium on the guesting of children on Willing Willie and similar shows;
- For Mr. Willie Revillame and the producers of the show to issue a public apology to Jan-jan and all their other guests whom they have humiliated in the past, and to promise never to commit the same acts in their future episodes;
- For the MTRCB to conduct an investigation and review of the said episode to determine the violations made by the host and the producers of the show of the standards and regulations set by law and the Board, and impose corresponding penalties on those found guilty;
- For the DSWD and the CHR to conduct an investigation into the said incident to determine the violations of Republic Act 7610 or the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act and Republic Act 9262 or the Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004, committed by the host, the producers and the management of TV5, and initiate legal action against those who will be found responsible;
- For the DSWD and the MTRCB, in partnership with the TV networks in the country, to formulate regulations that will cover the appearance of children on game shows and other reality-TV themed shows, especially those that are aired live;
- For the Committee on Youth, Women and Family Affairs of the Senate to conduct an investigation, in aid of legislation, to institute amendments to Republic Act 7610 or the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act and Republic Act 9262 or the Anti-Violence Against Women and Their Children Act of 2004 to protect children from similar violations;
- For the DSWD to provide counselling to Janjan and to all other children who participated on the show in the past for possible trauma and other physiological distress, as well as to their parents who consider subjecting their children to such experience as acceptable;
- For the Integrated Bar of the Philippines to provide legal support to the victims of these abuses who may want to pursue legal action against those who will be found responsible by the relevant government agencies; and
- For the Philippine Association of National Advertisers and AdBoard to forward this complaint to all their members, especially those who advertise on Willing Willie, and to request their members to temporarily cease placing ads on the show until the host, the producer and the management have complied with this request and instituted reforms to avoid a repeat of this incident in the future. Otherwise, we will be constrained to start a call to boycott the products of those who will refuse to heed this request.
We are expecting a prompt reply and action on your part. We will be continuously monitoring this issue and will continue to gather support from the general public through a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Para-kay-Jan-jan-Shame-on-you-Willie-Revillame/102087546543288) we have started, as well as the mainstream media.