Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mar Roxas and the Search for the Maginoo


I admit--I was a vocal critic of Senator Mar Roxas. Eversince he debased himself with that Mr. Palengke campaign, my high regard for the good senator fell. Among the bevy of senatoriables in his generation, Mar, for me, was the best of the best. Being an academic, for me, it's utterly senseless for someone as brilliant as Mar to undertake a campaign that was too baduy and too cutesy for comfort. Yes, he landed Number One on the first try. Why? Because people wanted to give him a chance to show that beneath those Mr. Palengke suit lies a true, blue, brilliant leader wanting to spearhead the campaign for true change.

In his first years, Mar Roxas did'nt disappoint the people. He spearheaded the Young Turks in Congress. Exhibiting integrity, Mar was the epitome of a fine leader we never had before. In my mind, he was the prime example of a maginoo, a true patriot.

However, in the last few months, especially when he announced his desire for the presidency, Mar turned out to be a letdown. His stand on issues sometimes ran counter to what the people feel. There was this disconnect from Mar Roxas' thoughts and political philosophy with that of the people's. As one observer noted, Mar is showing his true colors as a brilliant technocrat instead of showing his populist robe. To win, you need to be a populist. And most of those who support him, wants him to be a populist.

That was my expectation last Friday, January 9. Along with fellow bloggers DJB, Ding, Jester, Flowell, Marck, CaffeineSparks, and a host of others, I was expecting to talk to a veteran politico. I was expecting that Mar Roxas will mouth platitudes, and a ton of generalities on questions about the economy, etc. the way politicos do.

I was proven wrong.

Mar Roxas showed exactly the opposite. He was frank. He showed brilliance in his answers, especially that animated debate with DJB on the Bangsamoro question, on the issue of lingua franca and the Reproductive Health bill. I was expecting a politico, but I met a professor.

I also expected someone without any ideological platform. Again, I was wrong. Analyzing him and observing his demeanor when he was talking with us, showed me that this person has strong principles and strong opinions. He knows what he's talking about and he can defend it to high heavens.

I liked what he said when Ding asked him about his relationship with Korina. Mar told us straight and without battling an eyelash---that's (marriage) a personal decision between Korina and him. Ergo, whatever people think about his thing with Korina, he does'nt care. He loves Korina, period. And he does'nt give a damn whatever people think about it. A true maginoo.

Very presidential, don't you think? It shows that Mar cannot and will not be influenced by any outside view. Mar is his own man. He has his own take on things and simply, his views is as rock-solid as steel. Yet, beneath that veneer, I also sensed that Mar is also a man who can take the blows, and accepts countrary views. He can take a punch. Yet, he's magnanimous enough to accept comments and synthesize good views with his views.

Mar Roxas exhibited the finest character of a statesman, an academic, an ideologue and a doer--traits which I expect for my future president to have come 2010.

More than this though, I find him to be a gentleman. When asked about his future intentions on marriage, he said that he must be excused this time since his personal relationship with Korina should be best left to him and Korina. Good answer.

In my entire life, I voted just once---in the presidential elections of 1992 when Liberal Party and former Senate President Jovito Salonga ran. I'm not a Liberal by the way. I just thought that Salonga is better than Fidel V. Ramos.

Now, I definitely see the prospect of a good president in the likes of Mr. Mar Roxas. Mar is a work in progress and truly, Bobby Capco and the rest of the nationalistic staff of the good senator will definitely have their hands full in the coming weeks and months.

Mr. Senator, you have my vote. And I'll try to convince others to follow you. You have the potential of becoming the best president of this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading my blog. You inspired me. But if you intend to put your name "anonymous", better not comment at all. Thanks!